Mackinac Island Sanders Candy & Dessert Shop
Sanders Chocolates was first opened by Fred Sanders on June 17, 1875. Eventually, there were more than 57 stores in the Great Lakes Region alone, selling candy, fudge toppings, and baked goods, as well as light lunches and an assortment of desserts at fountain counters, including Ice Cream Sodas, Sundaes and Hot Fudge Cream Puffs.
Sanders soon became the leading purveyor of confections in the region and started selling directly to national supermarket chains, as well as to other retailers in the area. We still follow Fred Sander’s simple mission to “bring European confectionary style to America by using only the finest ingredients and providing loyal an dutiful customer attention, while selling his confections at a reasonable price.” Fred Sanders Chocolates and Toppings are still made following strict formulas by dedicated lifelong candy makers.
In 2002 Morley Candy Makers, Inc purchased the Sanders name and recipes to add to its own tradition since 1919. We are proud to make Sanders “Chocolate Worth Sharing.”